Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dont Judge Me

 
Half and Half.
Half make up, half natural.
Or would you call it
Half fake, half reality
 
I've always wanted to do a picture like this, half and half, just to see how much of a difference make up actually makes for me.
I think the biggest difference is confidence, honestly.
 
It had an interesting experience today.
8 guys from our ward got up to sing in Sacrament Meeting,
you could tell they'd put a lot of effort and practice into it, it was a hard song.
It was acapella Be Still My Soul with the words from Alma put to it.
When they started singing, I had chills up and down my body, the spirit in the room was so strong!
But then the girl next to me started making comments...
She had been in choirs and done vocal training throughout high school, so she was being very critical.
It was the craziest thing..
As soon as she started passing judgments, the spirit was gone.
And it was so aggravating!
I so wanted to just appreciate their singing.
(come on, you can ignore a few missed notes and off pitch tones. most of it was amazing.)
But it was almost impossible because of the snide laughter and critical comments right next to me..
 
It gave me quite the epiphany though.
Casting judgment takes away the spirit.
It is so unchrist-like.
 
And yet, it's a lesson that I myself need to learn...
Way too often I look at people, analyze their clothes, their hair, their shoes, etc...
I'd say it's human nature, but that's just an awful way to think about it.
And it most definitely shouldn't be an excuse.
 
One thing I keep trying to remind myself is that all these people at here at BYU.
That means they have brilliant minds
amazing talents
incredible leadership
selfless service
countless challenges
and a love for learning
all under their belt buckle.
 
It helps me view them differently.
 
 
hoping not to be judged
but judging all the same
 
miss maren lee

No comments:

Post a Comment